TUTORIAL: Install Android APK in all its formats
Today we present our APK installation guide on Android, we are going to cover all the current formats in which Android applications are distributed such as APK or new formats like APKS, XAPX or files OBB. We will also discuss basic security concepts and other points to consider when installing files outside of Google Play. I hope it is useful for you, for any questions ask without complexes.
WHAT IS AN APK, XAPK, OBB, or APKS?
The name of APK comes from “Android Package“Is the most widely used official Android application distribution format. Inside an APK we have all the necessary components of the app that are going to be installed on our Android device. This file is usually a compressed file like ZIP signed with a security system, if we extract the files they can no longer be installed. Today there are several file formats APK that respond to different needs
- APK = The classic APPS distribution format (Basic Apps, most of them)
- XAPK = One or more APKs and optionally files OBB with extra heavy data. (Games)
- APKS = New format with multiple APKs and configurations. (Global apps)
- More information on the so-called multi-APK system App Bundle
INSTALL APK FILE AND SECURITY
The APK files We can find them to download on multiple websites that are dedicated to distributing them, with any search in Google we can find them for example with “Chrome APK” we will have dozens of results to download this browser from Google. Before installing any APK, you have to take several points into account.
- Before installing an APK check if that app does not already exist in Google Play.
- Any APK downloaded from internet can be modified to obtain information from our system.
- Must download APK only from famous sites or known to minimize hazards (never 100% safe).
How to install APK file on Android
Install a APK file Classic on Android has no mystery, they are files that we can execute directly from any file explorer on this system if we give it the appropriate permissions.
- Normally we will already have a File explorer installed by default, if we cannot install it from Google Play.
- From File Explorer we run the APK, we will be asked permissions to allow external apps, we accept.
- After a few seconds we will have the app installed and available in our app drawer.
- When executing the app we recommend then going to Settings> Applications> Permissions> Block any permission not required.
INSTALL XAPK AND OBB FILE
Normally the files XAPK They are actually a ZIP where we have inside a classic APK or several del and optionally the multimedia or extra files called OBB. We have several methods to install this type of content on our Android TV-Box, mobile or tablet, but the one we comment on is the safest.
- This procedure is easier to do from a PC and connect the mobile to the computer, it can also be done on Android.
- Download the file XAPK and with the file explorer we rename ZIP.
- We extract the content of the ZIP.
- Inside we will find the necessary files to install the application
– Archive APK classic to install the app in a conventional way by running it.
– File Android/obb/com.xxx.xxx with the application data.
- We run the APK on our Android device and install it.
- We copy the folder com.xxx.xxx inside the folder Android / obb / of our device.
- We can now run the app normally.
- Go to Settings> Applications> Permissions> Block any permission not required.
INSTALL APKS FILE
The packaging format APKS it is spreading rapidly as it allows developers to distribute different configurations within a single package in a modular way. This system is similar to XAPK but inside we will have the APK Base and others APK smaller for languages, DPI resolutions and extra functions. The APK base cannot be installed manually even if we extract it, it must be done with the procedure discussed below.
- NOTE: Some app distribution sites are using this free method to do business with advertising. Compressing files with their own extensions is a regrettable practice.
- download and install SAI APK Installer.
- Download the file APKS and DO NOT unzip, it has to be hosted on our Android device.
- Run SAI APK Installer, accept permissions to write to storage.
- Inside the app we will Install APKS and we look for the APKS file in the folder where it is hosted.
- Click on Select and the installation process will start.
- ATTENTION: The first time this app usually crashes, retry, force close or restart device.
- Press Install to perform the APK installation and its accessories.
- After a few seconds we will have the app available.
- From the function EXPORT within SAI APK Installer we can also export apps to APKS format
- NOTE: smartphone Xiaomi con MIUI require deactivating some development options, after installing the APK we can activate it. Normally some app permissions such as calendar or contacts will have to be redefined when they are run.